The National Forest Company leads the creation of The National Forest, a new, wooded landscape for the nation across 200 square miles of central England. The National Forest Company was established by Government in April 1995. It is a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).
The National Forest Company:
- Attracts and uses resources for ambitious and imaginative Forest creation that is sensitive to the landscape and environment.
- Provides the setting for new businesses, recreation, tourism and an improved quality of life
- Enhances wildlife and biodiversity.
The National Forest Company leads through working partnerships with landowners, businesses, public, private and voluntary organisations and local communities to fulfil the shared vision for the Forest. It promotes the widest possible participation in and enjoyment of the Forest.
As the Forest matures, the Company promotes at international, national and local levels the experience and knowledge emerging from this inspiring and ambitious project.
The Business Plan 2014-15
The implementation of the 2014-2024 Strategy for The National Forest begins with the Business Plan for 2014-15. Through the Business Plan, new ways will be tested to generate income for the Forest, doing even more in managing the woodlands and evolving how the Company is organised for the future. Key priorities to make the most of the green investment created so far and secure it for future generations are set out as follows:
- An investment programme for the visitor economy, the woodland economy and skills and employability.
- 200 landowners involved in learning how to look after their woodlands.
- 500 hectares of woodland brought into management.
- A new programme for community engagement.
- The National Forest Company to become a charity as well as part of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).
Read more: Business Plan 2014 (2.96mb)
Also of interest
20 Apr 2015
The National Forest Company and its partners in the Heart of the Forest Forum have been awarded £770,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund for the innovative Black to Green project.
09 Apr 2015
National Forest sponsor Reabrook Limited gathered saws, hammers and spades for a day out in the woods with employees and their families recently. Staff were invited to help put the finishing touches to the company's sponsored woodland at Boothorpe, a few hundred yards from the company's buildings at Moira, near Ashby de la Zouch.
Find more articles: News
22 Apr 2015
7.2 km long former railway line linking Spring Cottage and Measham in Leicestershire.
22 Apr 2015
A 3ha picnic site on the site of the former Oakthorpe Colliery.
Find more: Events
Add more: Add your event...