Artists Commission - Oversetts Community Woodland
We are looking to appoint a Midlands-based artist or group of practitioners to develop a creative learning project based at Oversetts Community Woodland, Swadlincote with a focus on wildlife, the seasons and growing.
The project should provide activity for children and teachers at Fairmeadows Primary School, which is situated adjacent to the woodland and could extend to engage the wider community including local residents. The project should offer creative opportunities throughout the process, and also nurture longer-term care for the woodland.
This commision is part of the Caroline Scothern Awards, celebrating the life and memory of Caroline who championed outdoor learning in the National Forest with passion, creativity and care.
We are seeking creative activity that engages the school children in planting and caring for the woodland, plus exploring the wildlife that it supports and new ways for the space to be used.
Aims of the commission are to -
- Creatively engage the children and teachers from Fairmeadows school in planting and caring for the woodlands.
- Inspire the children to connect with nature, the seasons and growing through creative methods.
- Introduce ideas around climate action and environmental responsibility.
- Provide activity that encourages creative thinking, collaborative working, and the development of ideas to shape long term use of the woodlands.
- Create something physical for the site which could be functional, decorative, or celebratory which represents themes explored through the project.
Up to £6000 is available to include all fees, materials, production costs and travel.
The commission should be delivered between January – July 2024. The deadline for applications is 5pm Monday 4th December 2023.
An Artists Brief and Application Form are available to download below. Please also complete the Diversity Monitoring Form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email titled ‘Oversetts Commission’.
For any further information about this opportunity please contact:
Jo Maker, Arts & Creativity Manager
National Forest Company
Image featured in the commission promotion is by Honey Craft.