Spires & Stiles walk

This 9-mile route passes through the pleasant farmland of the Mease Lowlands in South Derbyshire and links six key National Forest sites.

The landscape feels very rural with large cropped fields, intact hedgerows and scattered game coverts linked with a good network of field paths and rural lanes.

Tall church spires and isolated field ponds are distinctive features of the area.

Location Map

Coton in the Elms Derbyshire

Walk type Medium Walks

Points of Interest

Coton Wood was planted by the Woodland Trust in 1994. Covering 30ha of former farmland, the main species growing there are oak, ash, field maple, hawthorn, cherry and other native trees and shrubs.

Grangewood is a 40ha woodland planted in 1997 with native trees and shrubs. Walking, riding (by permit) and fishing are all available on the site.

Top Tree and Long Close Woods cover 80ha and were planted by the Woodland Trust in 1996. An area has been left next to Grangewood Ancient Wood to enable natural regeneration of the existing wood. 

Foxley Wood is a 28ha woodland planted by the Woodland Trust in 1996. An area has been set aside for educational use and includes an all-abilities path and pond. Two benches designed by a local artist are provided.

Rosliston is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Redlauestun meaning “farm of Hrolf”. Until 1875, Rosliston was part of the parish of Walton.

The name Coton-in-the-EIms is derived from “all the cottages in the elms”. Sadly, following the outbreak of Dutch Elm Disease in the 1970s, few of the elms which gave the village its name remain.