The Grange walk
This 14-mile walk links the past, present and future of The National Forest.
Historic houses, former coal mines, working granite quarries and new woodlands are linked in a route which celebrates the industrial heritage of the area and its future as part of the evolving Forest.
Coalville Leicestershire LE67 3ln
Points of Interest
St Mary’s Church, Snibston
Dating from 1150 and measuring 10 metres by 5.5 metres, this is one of the smallest churches still in use.
Donington-Ie-Heath Manor House
Built in 1280, the house is an excellent example of a mediaeval first floor house.
The railway line was a spur off the line which ran from Shackerstone to Loughborough and served the South Leicester colliery. It also linked with the Leicester-Swannington Railway, the first public railway (1832), engineered by George and Robert Stephenson.
New Cliffe Hill Quarry
600 million year old “Markfieldite” granite has been quarried from this site since 1989. At 243ha and producing 4 million tonnes per annum, it the largest single unit owned by Midland Quarry Products. The reserves are used for rail ballast, road surfacing, driveways and sports surfacing.
Owned by Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council, the summit is a Regionally Important Geological Site with a natural outcrop of Pre-Cambrian rock of the Bradgate Tuff formation. The summit consists of acid grassland and the lower slopes are planted with predominantly local tree stock.
The Quarryman’s Way
Midland Quarry Products replaced the public footpaths diverted when quarrying began and completed a footpath link between Battleflat Lane and Stanton village. Residents named the route in a competition organised by the company in 1997.
Small site planted in 2002 with widely — spaced “parkland” trees of oak, rowan, cherry, field maple and hazel.
Planted in 2000 with a commercial poplar crop, native black poplars and mixed broadleaved trees. A permissive riding route has been created around the perimeter.
Named after the last Lord Maynard who died in the 1860s, the former Bagworth Rapid Loader site is now public open space with lakes, paths and tree planting.
Created in 1994 to mark the centenary of Ibstock Parish Council, this 5.5 mile trail commemorates the many hundreds of miners who walked these paths to find work in the local coal mines.
Created by the Royal Forestry Society in 1998, the woodland includes walking trails, cycleways, nature conservation areas, commercial plantations and a Millennium circle of oak and yew. One of a complex of 4 different woods covering a total of 163ha - Workmans Wood, Grange Wood and Park Farm being the others.