A Tender Scheme winner in 2000, this 62ha site on the edge of Ibstock provides an innovative mix of commercial forestry, multi-user access and heritage features.
The owner is restoring an 18th Century water ram system with funding from the Local Heritage Initiative and assistance from the company who invented the system in 1850. The system of sluices and bell chambers was used to irrigate the surrounding land via a pressurised pumping system. Reedbeds and wetland areas on site will be fed by the restored system.
Native black poplars are planted along the stream and ancient willows have been pollarded to prolong their lives. The commercial element of the woodland includes cricket bat willow and birch coppice for horse jump poles.
Part of the National Cycle Network Route 63 runs along the site.
Please note: Horse riding is by permit only.
- Bus Service
- Disabled Access
- Grassy Paths
- Information Centre
- Mapped for Orienteering
- Picnic Facilities
- Surfaced Paths
- Walking Trails