A 6.4 ha woodland now owned by Coleorton Parish Council. It was planted in 1991/2 on the site of the former Coleorton (or 'Bug and Wink') Colliery with funds raised through the Royal Mail and Woody Tree Campaign. A large number of conifers have been planted to 'nurse' the broadleaved trees by creating shelter. The conifers will be removed in about 20 years as a timber crop to generate some income and to allow the broadleaves to grow on.
The site is on the route of the Mining Hertitage Trail, a 9-mile walk tracing the coal mining history of this part of North West Leicestershire. A leaflet is available from Leicestershire County Council.
The nearby Coleorton Hall was the home of Sir George Beaumont, the founder of the National Gallery. Until recently, the hall served as offices for British Coal.
The Swannington Incline was built by Robert Stevenson in 1832 is well worth visiting.
- Bus Service
- Grassy Paths
- Information Centre
- Walking Trails
Coleorton, Coalville Leicestershire LE67 8FS